Using existing USB host port/OBD2 USB installation on GPS

hobDrive installation and configuration on Windows/Windows Mobile devices.

Using existing USB host port/OBD2 USB installation on GPS

Byrd » 02 фев 2013, 08:33

Hi all,

I'm keenly trying to get hobdrive working nicely on a Chinese GPS, running Windows CE 6.0. The unit is a flip-up dash style device, installed in a Mazda 3 MPS:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190789958822 ... 007wt_1413

The unit has a standard USB (host) port that I'm able to mount flash drives and hard disks, which can be viewed under Windows Explorer (icon always says "HardDisk").

Plugging an OBD2 cable into this connector does nothing, the dongle is powered but there is no detection of the cable or request to install the FTDI driver.

According to the FAQ ...
Front side usb connector for connecting flash drives with music does not fit - it is not connected to the WindowsCE of the unit.

... from your experience, can I assume this USB port is not a native Windows CE device - and that I will need to wire up another USB host cable off the GPS card in the unit? The software on the unit is quite locked down (compared to other devices I've come across), so could be this too.

Thanks in advance,

JB
Новичок

Re: Using existing USB host port/OBD2 USB installation on GP

cail » 05 фев 2013, 12:40

which can be viewed under Windows Explorer (icon always says "HardDisk").

Are you sure this is windows explorer? Most probably this is multimedia shell.

Try to run some File Browser - f.e. Total Commander, and seek the drive. Normally it is named USBDisk.
HobDrive(свежак) + Android4 rk3188 2din + Elm327USB + Pontiac Vibe 2003
Не пишите пожалуйста вопросы в личку. Создавайте тему в соответствующем форуме.
Администратор

Byrd » 10 фев 2013, 12:34

Hi cail,

thank you for your response.

I've checked the drive names using Total Commander

StorageCard - the SD card slot

NANDFlash - internal memory, 128MB

Hard Disk - (with a space) the USB port. I can plug a 2.5" 160GB external hard disk into this port, it is detected and spins up without issue. It shows up under both Total Commander and Windows Explorer (which is about the only program I can run, the software on this device seems to be fairly stripped down).

In your experience tinkering with these devices, can I assume the existing USB port on my car GPS is not on the "Windows CE side"? Should I attempt to wire up a USB host port off the GPS card?

In addition, assuming I can get a working USB host port, when a ODB2 device is plugged in does Windows CE immediately ask for a driver, or is there a way to probe USB activity?

Thank you

JB
(in Australia)
Новичок

cail » 11 фев 2013, 11:47

If you see disk in TC, this means your port is OK and can be used for ELM.

There is a chance that your wince already have some ELM drivers - thus it has no need to ask.

Try to check difference in serial port list with and without ELM plugged. I also recall there was some software to enumerate devices on WinCE - smthg. like "Device Manager". You may try search for it as well.
Администратор

Byrd » 11 фев 2013, 13:52

Thanks cail, that's some good news to know this USB host port should be OK for ELM. With the ELM dongle plugged in I can't get any life out of HOBD settings, having tried all COM ports and baud rates (by default what should it be?).

Apart from TC it's all in Mandarin, so I'm having difficulty finding my way around. But I'll have a look for a standalone Device Manager as you suggested.

An app like MioPocket 4.0 purports to install a lot of "missing" Windows CE components and files that I suspect I'm missing. What are your thoughts on MioPocket - any good for WM6 devices? Having tried MioPocket 4.0 on another handheld WM6 device, I don't like how it kind of takes over and I've read it's designed for WM5 and below, not WM6.

Sorry if I'm asking questions beyond the scope of HOBD. It's difficult to find information on these mysterious devices online, and HODB is the only app I'll be paying for/installing once I can get the test going :)

JB
Новичок

cail » 11 фев 2013, 15:14

By default for ELM you do not need to specify any baud rate (leave it empty).

I'm not aware about any drivers in MioPocket - but things may be changed since then I used that. Thats an application/shell layer for pna's.. you may try it, however I know it optimized for handheld PNAs, not integrated 2din in-car units.
Администратор